Skip to main content

Introducing Data for Better Health

Better health and improved health equity are impacted by factors beyond the care a person receives from their provider. Those factors, such as food insecurity, housing status, and transportation needs, are referred to as social determinants of health (SDOH), which significantly affect quality of life, health, and healthcare outcomes.

When SDOH data is appropriately collected, used, and securely shared, the entire healthcare team can gain insight into various elements that make up a person’s medical and non-medical story, allowing them to collaborate on improving an individual’s’ overall health and wellbeing.

It’s About Improving Health Outcomes

The Data for Better Health initiative, powered by AHIMA®, will provide tools, resources, and education to support a better understanding of the importance of SDOH data and how it can be used to improve health and healthcare outcomes.

Only 20% of our health is related to access to care and quality of health care services. The remaining 80% percent is determined by societal factors — including an individual’s physical environment; socioeconomic factors like education or job status; or health behaviors such as diet and exercise or smoking or alcohol use.

These societal factors are often referred to as the social determinants of health, or the conditions in the environments where people are born, live, learn, work, play, worship, and age. The phrase social determinants of health is often used synonymously with other phrases like the social drivers of health or the societal factors that influence health.

A growing body of evidence has shown that social determinants of health play a substantial role in determining health and healthcare outcomes. As a result, addressing social determinants of health is a crucial factor in addressing health equity.


 AHIMA Announces Launch of Data for Better Health™ Initiative

AHIMA Announces Launch of Data for Better Health Initiative

The American Health Information Management Association® (AHIMA) proudly unveiled a groundbreaking initiative, Data for Better Health™, at its annual conference, AHIMA23, in Baltimore, MD. To learn more, read the press release.

Upcoming Events

New Webinar: Screening for Social Drivers of Health: Lessons from the Field

Webinar | July 12 | Noon CDT

New Webinar: Screening for Social Drivers of Health: Lessons from the Field

Join us on July 12 at Noon CT for our upcoming webinar, Screening for Social Drivers of Health: Lessons from the Field. Join leaders from Inova Health System who will share how they’ve worked to comply with recent federal regulations that require screening and reporting.

Secure My Spot.

Discover the Impact of SDOH – Watch Our Exclusive Webinar

On Demand!

Discover the Impact of SDOH – Watch Our Exclusive Webinar

Ready to explore the dynamic intersection of healthcare compliance and social determinants of health (SDOH)? Watch our on-demand webinar featuring Cedars Sinai Health System experts and delve into the profound impact of SDOH screenings on patient well-being.

Watch the Webinar


Download our digital toolkit and share widely to highlight the importance of social determinants of health and the AHIMA Data For Better Health initiative.

Join our mailing list for notifications

Stay Connected!

Back to top