The Vision, Mission, and Values of the American Health Information Management Association
leading the advancement and ethical use of quality health information to
promote health and wellness worldwide”
- AHIMA is the worldwide professional association of recognized leaders in health information management, informatics, heath data technology, and innovation.
- AHIMA proactively promotes the technological advancement of health information systems that enhance the delivery of quality healthcare.
- Based on AHIMA’s Code of Ethics and applicable law, AHIMA will promote the ethical and appropriate use of health information, and its members will ascribe to and conduct themselves in accordance with the Code of Ethics as part of their professional responsibility.
- AHIMA recognizes that quality health and clinical data are critical resources needed for efficacious healthcare and works to assure that the health information used in care, research, and health management is valid, accurate, complete, trustworthy, and timely.
- AHIMA is concerned about the effective management of health information from all sources and its application in all forms of healthcare and wellness preservation.
- Health issues, disease, and care quality transcend national borders. AHIMA’s professional interest is in the application of best health information management practices wherever they are needed.
AHIMA leads the health informatics and information
management community to advance professional practice and standards.
AHIMA Core Values:
Demonstrated by an abiding commitment to innovation, relevance and value in programs, products and services
Demonstrated by openness in decision-making, honesty in communication and activity, and ethical practices that earn trust and support collaboration
Demonstrated by appreciation of the value of differing perspectives; enjoyable experiences; courteous interaction; and celebration of achievements that advance our common cause
Demonstrated by visionary thinking; decisions responsive to membership and mission; and accountability for actions and outcomes
Read the AHIMA Foundation mission.